Time on the road

Friday, May 14, 2010

Cachi Argentina to Los Vilos Chile

So I took Big Betty for a spin on the beach in La Serena, mind you after a couple of Pisco sours it was a bit of a wobbly spin. A bystander got this pic for me and sent it in an email. Getting on and off was a bit nerve racking, soft sand and all.


Tropic of Capricorn once again, I also did it in Chile.


The road to Iruya in the north of Argentina ended up being 50 kms of fantastic dirt road. This pic was taken on departure as I did this section at night when arriving, thankyou Touratech HID lights.

Is'nt she a beauty??


Yea so I got here at 4500 meters and thought, alone, dirt road, late afternoon and heavy snow clouds infront of me, what would you have done. Thats right I turned my sorry ass around and went looking for another route to Chile, Pity though this is ruta 51, meant to be quite nice.


I had the right clothing, but it was still damn cold.


The ice was also really thick in places and I had a hard time getting traction on the steeper parts.


The famous Viaducto of the tren de las Nubes, or something like that, impressive though.


Stopped for a cup of tea at the Ritz in the Argentinian Altiplano. Simple design, I think they went for the rustic look, did a good job to!!


Fabricio Oberto and me, just hanging out in the middle of nowhere, really nice guy. For those of you who dont know he played for the Wizards for a long time and is presently changing teams, come to Miami buddy.


And every now and then the Gods answer my call and give me what I am searchimg for, a 3000 meter decent. I cant tell you how many time I have scraped the foot pegs around these corners. This is not about speed, its about how low can you go.


1200 cc or 125cc, you can still go the distance. This bike has been from Guatemala to Ushuaia and now on its way to Cuzco. All you need is will power. Mike and Alanna, this would be below the Burro.


Just taking a break to smell the roses.


Probably one of the best roads yet, getting down that mountain, all the while thinking I am aiming for the snow in the back ground. It is riding heaven...


A very small section of the road down.


Ok, so this is the pass over to Chile reaching a hight of 4780 meters, not my highest, but without a doubt the most beautiful and cold.



These pics just dont do it justice, out of this world.




Sometimes I get so caught up in the scenery that when I stop to take a foto, well, I just forget to put my feet down, the honest truth..


Big Betty, my sweet love, I just hate it when shes on top.


Rather Chilly on the way to Chile. I now have heated jacket and gloves and they are fantastic, dont know how I survived before.



You honestly have to see this stuff to really understand the colors.

A history lesson, 15 years ago I taught English in this little town of El Salvador for 3 months, 3000 meters up in the middle of the Atacama desert, well this is where I lived and the next pic is where I taught.


This is where I taught, everything is still the same, just all the people have changed, couldnt find one of my students. I think they all work at Harvard teaching English, haha. In 3 months, I couldnt have done that much damage.
Not bad hey, another one of the mountain pass.


Atacama desert, in all its glory.





And more desert, a little later in the day.



Now this is Los Vilos, a little fishing town 200 kms north of Santiago, nice and quaint, but the sunset below was spectacular.





Whoa, freaky stuff, man. Its actually a tie dyed t-shirt. Partake in some Dillyweed and who knows what you will see.



Now, focus on the light bulb in the middle and concentrate really hard, I mean really hard and then make a wish and I PROMISE you it wont come true.




I thought this was interesting.


Ooooh another gift from the windy road Gods..


Just dig a hole through it, I think this is the worlds shortest tunnel.


Cant remember the name of this town, but it was a great little market town at the base of the Altiplano, where all the goods that are made in the little villages up in the mountains are sold
Ciao for now....

1 comment:

  1. Sad you had to turn around, because de 51 was wonderfull. QUite an Out of this world experience

    Keep the rubber side down.. please my friend.. it's not good for you or Betsy (your bike)

    Philippe

    ReplyDelete